Saturday, January 2, 2010

Time Alone With God

Do you have trouble finding time to be alone with God? I sure do! American life is so busy, with so many demands on a woman's time. How on earth can we juggle all we need to do in a day, and still find time alone with God? I struggle with this reality of American living. I already get up EARLY to make breakfast for my husband, get the kids up and ready for school, work all day at school, come home to a fire that needs fixing, supper needing to be cooked, then cleaning up supper dishes, feeding the critters, trying to straighten up the house, laundry, baths, paying bills, and on and on it goes.

We all have an endless to do list, don't we? So where does God fit into this busy schedule? Too many times, I'm afraid He doesn't. We send up a brief prayer for the safety of our loved ones, or for His help throughout the day, and then we collapse into a heap of exhaustion, falling asleep while finally trying to really pray.

Sometimes I wonder if our "busy-ness" isn't one of Satan's greatest tools that he uses against Christians. In Ephesians 6 we find the passage about our weapons of warfare. Our most offensive weapon against Satan is the Sword of the Spirit, the Word of God. How can Satan best stand against that one? By seeing to it that Christians don't use it! If he convinces us or causes us to be too busy to spend time in the Word, we'll he's pretty much won any battle he chooses to wage against us. We may have some defensive weapons in our arsenal...our helmet of salvation, our breastplate of righteousness, our shoes of peace, but those things will only keep us from being destroyed in an attack. They are NOT a Sword that we can use to actually fight the enemy.

So this year, while I'm not making a "New Year's Resolution," I have asked God to work in my heart to cause me to desire to spend time in the Word so much, that I can't even imagine going through a day without it. In my own strength, I know that I will fail, but if God is working in me, I can trust Him to make the necessary changes in my heart. I'm asking for this God-improvement beginning in 2010. Care to join me?

1 comment:

  1. I think business is definitely one of Satan's best tools. Hmmmm...not sure if I can think of a better one.

    ReplyDelete