Sunday, January 2, 2011

How Alaska Changed Me!

I know a man who is always talking about the longing of the soul, the desire for something more, the fact that we were created for much more than this world has to offer. I could see the strong desire for more of God in his life, and I watched it from a distance, somewhat puzzled by his discontent. I wondered if it was a "spiritual problem," or was I the one with the "spiritual problem?" Why wasn't I longing for more? I've often been described by friends and family as "so content."

Then I went to Alaska. I prayed that God would change me forever while I was there. I wanted a life changing encounter with Him while being completely absorbed and awed by His marvelous works called "Alaska." I spent a lot of time at Echo Ranch on my own. Taking walks, taking pictures, praying and worshipping. But when it was time to leave, I didn't think I had that "life-changing" event I was looking for.

I knew that I had seen the glory of God displayed in ways I had never seen before as I tried to take in the majesty of the mountains, the size and power of the humpback whales, the incredible beauty of the eagle in flight. But spiritual life changing event? I wasn't really sure that happened.

After being home for a few weeks, I noticed something different about me. I didn't seem content anymore. I kept longing for more of something. Another trip to Alaska? A greater mission in life? What WAS my problem? I wondered. Then on one of my nature walks (something that started after going to Alaska), while praying about all of this, I finally got my answer. What I was longing for was more of God!

In the midst of the time spent praying, worshipping, glorifying God in Alaska, God HAD changed me. It wasn't a lightening bolt moment. It came softly. A stirring for a deeper, more satisfying relationship with the God of the universe.

That realization was a comfort to me. Now I knew what had changed in me. Now I knew that God had indeed answered my "Alaskan prayer." And now I knew what my friend experienced in his constant longing for more of God.

In some ways, life was easier before this stirring of my soul. I was content to spend my life doing all of the things that I had always been doing....teaching school, teaching Sunday School, being a Christian wife and mother. I still want all of those things, but now I also want more. More of Jesus. I hope this longing, this push for a deeper relationship with Christ will never be satisfied, until I meet Him in glory!

I hope that 2011 will be just the beginning of that deeper, sweeter relationship that I am longing for.

No comments:

Post a Comment